Monday, October 04, 2004

Where I revert

I will never understand people. When I am the emperor of the universe, and trust me, that will happen one day, I will order that all people give ten valid reasons for anything they do.

Treated my feckless roommates at Bombay Grill (formerly Shaalimar) today. The food was nothing extraordinary, except for the Gulab Jamoons. They were incredible. Truly they were.

I was supposed to be working today, and I actually got a little done, before I got sidetracked into reading the Warriors' Apprentice. Lois McMaster Bujold is an excellent writer of space operas. Her world building skills are pretty good and the plot lines are reasonably taut and well written. But where she truly excels is in character development. I find myself really caring about the characters and what happens to them. And not just the main characters, even the bit players are very well written, so well written that I wish she’d spin them off into their own novels.

That’s it. I apologize for not reading something incredibly intellectual like “The Great Gatsby”, or “Ulysses”, or “The Fountainhead”. But I am just a simple man of simple tastes who prefers a simple entertaining page turner over those pieces of pseudo-intellectual trash.

I’m done venting.

Programming in Java is fun. (That line was just for you Chilli).

The devil is unwell today. I shall take some time out and humor him.

The following is a transcript of our chat. I am blogging it as we chat. It has been edited for content and secrecy.

Nah… I changed my mind.

I have a feeling that my blogging frequency shall increase over the next few days.

Catch up time. I am attending this TA training course. And last week was my presentation, when I got up and did a little pretend lecture for the other Teaching Assistants for fifteen minutes. I was a tad nervous, but the wise ass in me won over, and at the end of class the instructor said I had used my sense of humor to connect well with class. Ah, being a wiseass paid off.

The devil suggested a few drinks, and since he is an expert I shall take his suggestions. They are, in no particular order, Tequilla, Sembuca, Creme De Menthe, Kalua, Tia Maria, Smirnoff Black Ice, Cutty Sarks and Irish Bitters. I’ll ask him for more after I try all this.

The posting ends here. I return to my work now.


No comments: