Monday, October 02, 2006

A brief study of space in more than four dimensions.

One of the lesser known laws of physics in the “Law of Wallet-detritus Attraction”. It isn’t a very catchy title but it works. Badly and creakily, but it works. It is the property by which a guy's wallet in a state of existence attracts objects that have no business existing. This leads to a the wallet expanding in every possible dimension and a couple of improbable ones. (Sockspace, where all missing socks go from the portal in the dryer. DiskSpace, which is a kind of negative space in that it never is enough. Mostly because, well, wallets are impinging upon its boundaries).

My wallet is no exception. It has stuff in it that clearly does not belong. Receipts for things I bought. Receipts for things I returned. Receipts for things I would never buy. Receipts so faded that I do cannot make out which of the previous three categories they belonged to.

ID cards of every possible variety and vintage. Driving licenses, one valid, some expired and one not quite expired but where I am eminently unqualified to drive. I really should get rid of most of those. They contain photographs that I would rather forget. The only ones I like are the ones in which I perfected my smirk and my hair is uncombed.

(That last bit may not quite make sense. But this is the way my hair works. If I try to subdue it, it will rise up in a state of rebellion and there will be hell to pay. Villages will be burnt and sheep will be stolen. Chaos will rule supreme. However, if I run my fingers through it in the morning and forget about it for a couple of hours it will generally behave.

My hair is much like a computer in that way. Apart from occasionally coming up with a blue screen of death, like a computer, it will behave itself if left well enough alone)

A ten rupee note and a ten euro note. (I’ve had those from before grad school. They’ve moved from one wallet to another. So I carry money in my wallet that I do not ever plan on spending. That’s normal)

Ticket stubs from movies I enjoyed, from movies I did not, from movies I never watched and will continue to deny that I ever watched.

A post-it note that has something possibly important written on it. Having lived in my wallet for a year now, all I can make out is it saying, “G__or 78_9823”. Or maybe Space Alien Pirate Ninja from Outer Space. It’s one of the two. I’ll figure it out eventually. Or maybe not.

Well…you get the point. Wallet filled with too much crap, roughly seven inches thick and completely spoiling the line of my trousers. And so I removed everything, trimmed the wallet down to a manageable three inches and left the damned thing alone for a while.

When I returned an hour later it was back to being seven inches thick and not content with doing that, it was now glowing faintly green and making hungry noises. And I need to put that down my front pant pocket. Joy.

7 comments:

test123 said...

Don't know why, but this post reminds me of Discworld :)

freakphase said...

a) I just read Thud!. The post is completely derivative I suppose, but I could imitate worse authors.

b) You bastard. You absolute bastard. How dare you?

test123 said...

Nah, has your usual flair :).

Anushya said...

i think women have loads more rubbish to clean from their purses.i have had tissues at various stages of degradation.yes,the tickets and reciepts are common.then there are those who would have a whole jewelry store stashed away in their purses,just in case they have forgotten to adorn themselves.some odd pamphlet from which the print has faded.they look like some archeological remain.

if it's a woman my mother's age then the purses would be filled with kumkum packets collected as prasad from various temples which have leaked and err...painted the bag red.beetle leaves,nuts,old wedding invitations they never went to.it's unbelievable. ;-)

freakphase said...

Do handbags glow green and make hungry noises?

Anonymous said...

My wallet is either forever obese or forever famished - no two ways, or halfway, about it.

If it gets too stretched then removing a few items makes everything else fall out.

:(

Oh, well.

freakphase said...

Any disturbance in the state of wallet equilibrium can lead to a a catastrophic state of wallet chaos.