Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Sincity and The Sandman

I love comics. There I said it. I'm a comic book geek.

And it has always been a disappointment when comics have been adapted to movies or for television. You do have the occasional passable adaptation, like the original Batman movie and the two Spiderman flicks.

But more often I am subjected to the horror of crap like Batman and Robin. The agony of seeing my favourite spandex wearing tormented hero being reduced to...words fail me.

Sin City on the other hand was fantastic. As some wise critic wrote, it is not a comic book adaptation. It's a comic book movie. For those of you who do not know, the movie has three stories from Frank Miller's Sin city Series. My favourite and the best of the three by far was the first one, "The Big Fat Kill". C'mon, how can you go wrong with a title like that? I was so impressed by the movie I went out and bought the comic. And read it yesterday when I was supposed to be preparing for a demo. And I can confirm what I previously wrote. The movie is incredibly true to the comic. Panels in the comic could be stills from the movie. So, I have no choice now, I'm going to have to buy the rest of the series.

And while I'm at it I'm going to have to buy the rest of the Sandman series too. I remember reading one of the Sandman comics years ago. Frankly I disliked it then. Probably because I was too young and not mature enough to appreciate it. So I went out on a limb and bought the first book in the series. It is incredible. It is a fantasy novel written with pictures. Apparently the artists who drew the comic changed during the first year, but they are all uniformly excellent. The drawings are weirdly psychedelic... nightmarish even. And they fit the story perfectly. The author of the series is Neil Gaiman. If you haven't read his book Neverwhere, read it now.

Back to work.

No comments: