Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Small print

I called home a couple of nights ago. My parents hung up on me. Ouch!

Most of my friends send me emails from their work accounts, convenience and all that stuff. I used to do the same before I got sucked into grad school.

Now, most of their emails have the following disclaimer, or something very similar inserted in them:

“The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.”

No shit! Do they seriously expect me to jump through these hoops if I receive a wrongly addressed email? Your firm’s fuck up, you fix it.

Heck, if the email contains the attachment Maria_Sharapova.jpg, I’m going to disseminate all over the place. And then I will distribute it and ensure that it is not destroyed. Preferably by setting it as my wallpaper, my screensaver, my startup screen.

(I promise that one of these days, I’ll try to write something without obscenities or references to bodily functions.)

(Note the emphasis on the word try.)

UPS takes the cake (Cheesecake! Mmmmm cheesecake. Evil diet destroying cheesecake.) with the disclaimer on their Package Tracking Page.

“UPS authorizes you to use UPS tracking systems solely to track shipments tendered by or for you to UPS for delivery and for no other purpose. Any other use of UPS tracking systems and information is strictly prohibited.”

Now, maybe I’m criminally naïve but I cannot think of any way in which I could abuse that page. I could perhaps put in an invalid tracking number and take unwholesome pleasure in the fact that the servers have to spit out an “Invalid tracking number” message, but that seems harmless. So, yeah…suggestions welcome. I’d love to abuse that page.

Now, what was that bit about logic again?

1 comment:

Sridhar Raman said...

Here goes:
You go to the UPS service desk/office to courier your parcel and also happen to catch sight a hot girl just ahead of you in the queue. You see that she is sending some sort of a gift to her boyfriend (?). You obviously want to Dhanush her. But you do not know where the parcel is headed to.

But...but...the chances of her tracking number being 1 less than yours is quite high. So, you could find out her parcel's destination, rush to that place, ascertain whether it is indeed a boyfriend, kill him, and send that package back to her with all the mushy stuff mangled, and then be the "shoulder to weep on".

Whew!

:P