Friday, March 16, 2007

11100 or I, for one, welcome our new cephalopod overlords.

A few interesting (Here, I play fast and loose with the adjective “interesting”, stretching the meaning of the word, patting it down and coaxing it into a new shape, the shape known to some as mind numbingly boring.) facts about the number 28 (Source: Shamelessly ripped from Wikipedia and then despicably edited):

  • The number of letters in the Danish and Swedish alphabets (not counting W).
  • Part of the title of a zombie movie 28 Days Later.
  • The number of normal human teeth, not including the third molars (wisdom teeth).
  • The postal code of the province of Madrid, in Spain.
  • The only two digit number, both of whose halves rhyme with shwenty and weight respectively.
  • The only number that is twenty seven plus one.
  • The number of malfunctioning staplers in a box of thirty.
  • The only number that is twenty nine minus one.
  • The average number of explosions in any action movie.
  • One fifth the temperature of my trusted hangover remedy (soup) that I poured over my cell phone this past Sunday.
  • One fourth the number of ab-crunches I did to avoid talking to someone at the gym this past Wednesday. (No, I do not exaggerate that number. That number does come with the disclaimer that for me doing an ab-crunch involves scrunching my eyes, grimacing and twitching slightly. Occasionally a stray abdominal muscle may be involved. Usually not.)
  • Number of hours I was hunched over like Gollum because of those exercises. (I did caress my mouse a few times and go “Myyyyy presciousssssss, my prescioussssss.”)The hisses are good for the lungs.
  • The number of years (and six days) that I have been on this planet.

And that last bullet point sucks. I’m closer to thirty than I am to twenty five and that’s scary. Not in a “Scary footsteps following you in a dark, lonely parking lot,” kind of way but in a …actually precisely in a “Scary footsteps following you in a dark, lonely parking lot,” kind of way. Except that the footsteps are very real. And they belong to this huge, misshapen brute known as middle age. You can hear him muttering under his breath, “…Responsibilities, Family, Commitment, Retirement, Settle Down…”.

That last bit there is the most frightening. “Settle Down.” Who the fuck wants to settle down? Settling down is what happens when a badly constructed pastry implodes in on itself. Dust settles down. Settlers, in an ideal world, settle down. I looked at my résumé. At no point does it assert that I am good at settling down. It says “Programming Experience”, and “Educational Background” and “Previous Experience”, but no fucking mention of settling down. Notably absent are the words settle and down in that order. I does say that I have experience using blankets filled with down, and that if I ever sued a stapler manufacturer, I would be willing to settle out of court. (Yes, I do have a weird résumé.) The phrase “Settle Down” is in my case counterproductive. It unsettles me, flusters me and leaves me in need of a strong drink.

I’ve come to the conclusion that only one thing can save me from people telling me to “Settle Down.”

The earth needs to be attacked and conquered by vicious, viscous aliens. There’ll be no time for settling down and related nonsense when I’m fighting in the Resistance, striking small but vital blows against the enemy’s military industrial mega-complex.

Assorted relatives may say, “You’re twenty eight. Isn’t it time you settled down?”

I’d reply, “I’m fighting a goddamn underground war against our alien oppressors. I have no time for such trifles,” and that, that undeniable truth, would silence them completely.

Because it is true. You cannot settle down when you are fighting evil alien oppressors. It only encourages them and causes them to preen and give speeches at parties and carry on like a bunch of ne’er-do-wells. Where are the members of the resistance? Why are they not crashing the party dressed as members of the catering staff, lying in wait to eliminate the upper echelon of the alien hierarchy? Why, they’re settling down and having children and working towards their retirements.

Fuck that. Death to our viscous alien oppressors. Once they get here. They need to get here to preempt this talk of settling down and then we’ll (I’ll) get rid of them.

I should probably make a donation to SETI.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

good post. Albert Pinto agrees with you!

Apinto

Priya and Girish said...

hahhaha mr rajneesh :))
dude what happened....were you forced down the arranged marriage shoot or what !!!
y so harassed in life
-priya

freakphase said...

a) Pinto shows good judgment.

b) Dodged that bullet...for now.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday. Hope life 'settles down' to the routine that you're settled into. All the best.

lt said...

1) Why settle? Only the unambitious 'settle' for something. Use that argument:D

2) Did that soup fall on those two bits of plastic and sand you join to make a screenless mobile communication instrument? Or did you finally actually get a new one?

freakphase said...

1) I will.

2)I now have a new one. Thanks to a generous benefactor.

...That sounded wrong.

Punk Floyd said...

Will facilitate the process so that you bite the bullet the next time you are here.

freakphase said...

Cliff. Jump. Off. You.