Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Stuff to see

Catch this if you can. I did, and it was well worth it. I did not have time for this, but I hope to the next time I'm in DC.


Driving is fun.

However I have a small problem. The moment I sit behind the wheel, I begin to feel drowsy. I harbor this paranoid suspicion that the wheel is covered with a potent brand of chloroform.

Black coffee helps. Not much, but a bit. At least the sixth cup does. So does chocolate…and pizza. This means that I have to work out for sixteen days to get over the harmful effects of a five-hour drive.

The radio helps the most. However when traffic is crawling, do not tap your foot on the brake in time to the beat of the song. It seems to annoy the other drivers. But that would be interesting, wouldn’t it? If the traffic moved to the beat of Paint it black or Imagine.

The drive from northern Virginia to State College is incredibly beautiful. Rolling hills and dense woods and a gloomily beautiful, slightly overcast day with just a hint of an early morning fog.

Now something not as pleasant. My cell phone has decided that the backlight is a luxury, and so in effect my screen has died. Well, not exactly. The backlight occasionally does come on when the phone is flipped half open and then promptly shuts down the moment it is fully open. But just to make things interesting, it sometimes comes on only when the top is at an angle of fifteen degrees to the bottom. So I need to hold the phone up to my eye and peek at the screen to figure out whom I am calling.

I think I’ll get a new phone, but in the spirit of minimalism, I think I’ll just have it be a phone. Nothing but a phone. Actually I think I’ll just carry one of those old, black, rotary dial phones in my pocket and get myself a really long extension cord.

Bah. I’m in a good mood, and nothing has pissed me off enough recently for me to rant about. I need someone to say “buh bye” to me while sitting in a kiosk. That might work.

5 comments:

Sridhar Raman said...

:-) Your telephone backlight experience reminds me of the time when I used to wonder whether the light inside the refrigerator was always on. I tried the 15 degree theory, and saw that it sometimes came on, and sometimes off. Only later on did I realise that even Stephen King had the same doubt. :P (Ok, I am not implying anything here)

But your paranoia regarding the wheel covered with choloroform is completely unfounded. Dont you remember the times you used to sleep while being a pillion rider in my bike?!! My helmet has a million scratches caused by your spectacles banging into it, everytime you dozed off. There are nights when I thank the inventor of the helmet for protecting me from your sharp frigging glasses. So, dont blame the wheel. :))

Anonymous said...

I agree....
The drives from Eloor to home, and sometimes from college to home the sequence went something like that

Brrrrrrummmmm..... (that's the kinetic speeding along)
Prick ... Ouch... (rajneesh's spectacles against the back of my head)
Me : oi...
Rajneesh : huh , what ..... drive carefully wont you ...
Me: What the *&!@**!@#* ... you dozed off
Rajneesh : well then make sure you drive carefully

Sequence repeat...

Sigh!

Come back rajneesh.... There are chinkies by the dozen in MG Raod these days ....

Sridhar Raman said...

Oh yeah I forgot to add that. Come back dude!

freakphase said...

I have no recollection of such events :D.

kay said...

tapping your foot on the brake in time to the beat of a song?

haha, i really need to try that sometime!