Friday, June 30, 2006

The best way…

…to get over a bad mood is to take a long drive, late at night.

I’ve realized that all my drives, the ones to get over my bad moods, have a certain pattern to them.

And here is the pattern.

At some point I will have to decide whether to go left or right, and I will not make my mind up until the last second.

At some point I will turn the radio off.

At some point I will pull into a gas station. (If the gas station is in New Jersey, the guy who pumps the gas will probably be Indian and will insist on talking to me in Hindi. At that point I will gleefully practice my atrocious Hindi on him.)

At some point I will turn the heater up all the way for no good reason.

At some point I will kick my shoes off and drive barefoot.

At some point I will begin to miss Bangalore terribly.

At some point I will see a funny road name.

At some point I will have to swerve to avoid a cute, furry animal that is doing its damndest to become roadkill.

At some point I will start thinking about my next blog post.

At some point I will be doing thirty in a fifty five zone.

At some point I will pull over to let the guy behind me, the one getting increasingly pissy about me doing thirty, pass me.

At some point I will turn the heater off,

At some point I will whistle or hum a tune under my breath.

At some point my bad mood will dissipate.

At that point I will find a place to take a U-turn to get back to my apartment.

At that point I will realize that I am thirty five miles from my apartment.

At that point I will realize that the place I am in is very dark and very, very, very creepy.

At that point I will check my rear view mirror for angry mummies, hungry zombie, large carnivorous dinosaurs and rabid toasters.

At that point I will begin to think about vampires and that one movie where the serial killer was hidden away in the back seat of the victim’s car.

At that point I will twist in my seat and examine my back seat.

At that point I will turn the radio on.

At some point after that I will be doing sixty in a thirty zone.

At some point I will have to swerve to avoid a cute, furry animal that is doing its damndest to become roadkill.

At some point I will wonder if I will be late to work tomorrow.

At some point I’ll reach home.

4 comments:

Sridhar Raman said...

Forgive this cheap shot.
But knowing how you were in Bangalore, I couldn't read past "to get over a bad mood is to take a long drive". :P

Anonymous said...

All I read was ...

"At some point I will have to decide whether to go left or right, and I will not make my mind up until the last second."

At some point I will kick my shoes off and drive barefoot.

At some point after that I will be doing sixty in a thirty zone.

At some point I will have to swerve to avoid a cute, furry animal that is doing its damndest to become roadkill.

At that point I will twist in my seat and examine my back seat.




And that's when the feeling resurfaced. The one that said, "Disappear. Flee. 'Tis order you can't hold /
Rajneesh's been let loose upon the world."

*sigh*

Perhaps one can move to another, safer state? New York? Perhaps the state of Jersey can issue an advisory when Rajneesh's on the road? Perhaps ...

*sigh*

Anonymous said...

Perhaps ...

"At some point I will begin to miss Bangalore terribly."

Aha? Keep talking ... ;-p

freakphase said...

a) Cruel

b)Cruel, Mz. "I do 90 in a 55 zone".

c)Um...yeah, no.