Tuesday, August 08, 2006

High finance

I was at the university book store over the weekend, and they had a huge banner put up. It said, “A gift card, the perfect gift for all occasions”.

No, it’s not. Giving a person a gift card is like telling them, “I don’t care enough about you to make the effort to get you a gift and so here is some money.”

Yes, that’s it. Giving someone a gift card is like giving them money. Except that it is worse. Not only are you giving them money, you are giving them money that you cannot use everywhere. Money, but without the freedom to spend it anywhere you may please.

“Here’s some money. But it is not really money. Because money you could use anywhere, but this you can’t. It is like made-up pretend money. You can spend it only at this one place. And you need to use it soon, because this money, unlike real money, has an expiry date. So...um enjoy! Happy Some Occasion to You! “

The supermarket I go to has gift cards. For the fucking supermarket. I wonder who at the supermarket came up with that idea and if anybody, anywhere, has ever bought one of those gift cards.

“Happy Some Event. Here’s a gift card from Super Fresh. You know… the supermarket. Enjoy!”

3 comments:

Anushya said...

hehe...and yes I agree,lousy concept.

Anonymous said...

If was 55 yrs old and I had to give a 17 year old techie girl a gift, and I wanted to get her something worth say $150, I obviously wouldn't want to hand her a cheque or the cash. But I wouldn't trust myself to go to Best Buy and get her something she likes (or doesn't already have!). Hence the birth of the gift card.

I also wouldn't mind a gift card to a supermarket with an expiry date. Maybe that'll inspire me to visit the supermarket more regularly.

All this still doesn't mean I feel any less guilty when I give away gift cards though. Because I'm always wondering if the person on the receiving end is thinking like you.

So thanks.

freakphase said...

a) Wise person.

b) Logic has no place in this blog!