Monday, August 21, 2006

Yellow Underwater Submersible

A Weighty Matter.

Ever said goodbye to someone, and then it turns out that heading out in the same direction as you are? So now you’ve said goodbye, but you’re still walking next to each other for what seems like and quite possibly is, an eternity.

I’m never quite sure about what to do in such a situation.

Do you erase the memory of that goodbye, pretend that it never happened and carry on with your conversation? Or maybe start an entirely new conversation? And at the end of that conversation do you say goodbye again and thus enter the risk of entering a vicious cycle?

Or do you treat the goodbye as a clear line in the sand. The conversation has ended and that’s the end of the matter. The person you just said goodbye may stand at your side unto eternity but you will not acknowledge their presence. Goodbyes are final. That is...until they leave and return. In which case the slate is wiped clean and you may start all over again.

A Weighty Matter worth pondering about.


Another Weighty Matter.

When a person holds a door open for you, you thank them. It is the polite thing to do. But what do you do if you are following them down a hallway with multiple doors, that they then hold open for you. Do you thank them repeatedly?

“Thank you.”

(Pause for Opening door)

“Thank you.”

(Pause for Opening door)

“Thank you.”

Go for a little variety.

“Thank You!”

“Mmm…thanks.”

“Much gratitude to you kind person.”

“Open Sesame!”

“Who let the dogs out?”

“Alas poor Yorick, I knew him well”

“Luke, I am your father.”

“Yooodleyhihoo!”

“My precioussss…”

“There are places I remember…”

“Quack quack quack.”

It does not necessarily need to be verbal. Pretend to lunge for the door in slow motion. Pretend that you are in a parade and wave to the imaginary crowds as you pass through the door. Alternatively moon the imaginary crowds as you pass through the door. Or goosestep through the door. Use your imagination. Make it a production!

This will certainly solve your repeated thanking problem. The person opening the door for you will at this point be either running or desperately calling for the cops on a cell phone. If, on the other hand, the door-opener is actively following your lead, running desperately might not be a half bad idea.

You could also thank them just once and then ride that thanks’ coat tails through each and every one of the doors held open for you. I’d recommend the earlier option, but that’s just me.

So yeah. Goodbye. Now stop following me!

15 comments:

Sridhar Raman said...

Ah

Anonymous said...

One option could be, walk in bypassing the guy holding the door open, and be the first to open the next door. Now you can alternatively thank each other.

Anushya said...

lololol!
I am floored by all those weighty issues.

freakphase said...

a) Bah!

b)Stop being logical and sensible!

c) Me too!

Anonymous said...

bus-stop girl, you're onto something.

Mr Raj..., how is it that the person who opens the door for you, lets you through, and then somehow rushes his/her way ahead of you and does the same again? And again?

If you're going to walk like an 18th century lady of the spoilt variation, then learn to thank valorous gentlefolk who open doors for you likewise. i.e. bat your eyelashes furiously, smile profusely, and invite the person over for tea ...

freakphase said...

If I recall correctly, I opened more than a few doors for you today and yet there was neither batting nor smiling.

Feel free to do so in future.

And remember, I like Earl Grey.

Anonymous said...

Ah?! So you're gonna play dirty is how this is going down?

Okay.

Well, I'm sorry I had to dig for my wallet to swipe my access card so you could waltz in with one hand happily towed in pocket, and laptop case strap happily and stably ensconced on your shoulder. Oh, you briefly had to use a hand to open a door? Ohhh. Puir, puir wee Rajee!

I also aint batting no eyelashes coz I happened to open the only heavy, metal fire door along the way.

All this ingratitude so unladylike of you.

:p

freakphase said...

I was digging for my card. I cannot help it if you are so freakishly quick on the draw. The access card is not as heavy as the door. Ergo I expended more effort and energy than you did.

And I’m sure I opened the other heavy metal fire door along the way. The one which you clearly do not remember. Perhaps the effort of opening the previous door drove that from your mind. Puir wee millimeter!

Batting and smiling will help your memory. Trust me. I know these things. I’m a doctor…maybe.

All this ingratitude so unladylike of you.

:p

Anonymous said...

Clearly, there's only one solution to this problem.

We'll have to say goodbye before we reach any of the doors, and continue to walk in absolute silence. We'll pretend that the other person doesn't exist, so there will be no need for follow any door opening/ expression of gratitude protocols.

Yup, yup.

:p

freakphase said...

But, as you pointed out to me, that would be creepy and you wouldn’t do that. Clearly not a solution.

Also door-opening-gratitude protocols take precedence over goodbye-then-walking-in-same-direction protocols.

Trust me. I know these things.

Anonymous said...

Well, you are creepy, regardless. Unfortunately, normal + creepy != normal. However, creepy + creepy may seem normal from a creepy perspective.

Also creepiness takes precedence over door-opening-gratitude protocols.

I don't trust creepy 18th century ladies.

freakphase said...

Creepy 18th century ladies are cool!

Normal + creepy = crormal which is better than Creepy + creepy which is 2creepy.

Nothing takes precedence over door-opening-gratitude protocols.

I do not trust hobbits.

Bloggard said...

I was right!

Bloggard said...

That comment was meant for Chilli and Amoeya

freakphase said...

Um...okay?